Friday, April 27, 2012

a bucket full of amul butter!


There is a famous saying in Indian academic life, 'he is buttering the faculty', or trying to impress him with tactics and sweet talk for extra marks or favour. It is a common assumption among people, 'he may want something back in favour from me, that is why he is so sweet to me'! Had I carried this misconception to the Southern State of North Carolina, everyone I met would have wanted something in return!!!

I was introduced to the Southern hospitality, while I waited by the bus stop at Wolf Village and a student cycling by, remarked “May all of you have a good day today! “! I was surprised as the comment brought a smile to my face and a sense of belongingness, to a city I recently moved. I thought to myself, ‘Welcome to the Raleigh, North Carolina, Sothern hospitality at its best’! Ever since I have taken care to wish ‘hey how are you today?’, ‘may you have a good day!’ to every driver of a bus I enter,  a coffee shop I visit, a stranger by the dinning hall and a faculty passing by the lounge. This being happened and I thought I had seen it all, but to my amazement, not!
One day, I walked by a car wash near the Catham square in between the neighboring town Cary and Raleigh as I was trying to reach the nearest Triangle transit bus station to head back home. I noticed a young boy, who was washing a car. The moment I made an eye contact with him, he shouted aloud-‘’hey, how are you today?’! And once again, I smiled and walked, as I experienced the real USA today. I sensed what I had heard or seen only in the movies, where passer-bys greeted or wished you morning, the teachers spoke to you with Pleases and Thank yous in the class and shop keepers wished you a good day.


Being said that, I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend! J










PS: Its not amul butter, but southern tea here! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment